Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 21: I Spy.

I love my new house. Really truly.

Loved more because we're here to stay. Even if we go, we'll come back.

I love my garden. I love that yesterday my father-in-law said "I can tell you've been doing a lot of work in the garden...it's getting so nice." And it is. It really really is.

I went to the garden centre on Saturday morning at 7am, kids in tow, in jammies. They were having a 30% off everything sale. I looked at trees for $70, calculated the minus 30%...Yikes! Skip. Looked at perrenials in gallon pots for $12.99 minus the 30%. I bought a Foxglove cause I really really wanted a Foxglove, but still, that's pretty steep.

So, then, yesterday morning I decided to take the kids to the farmer's market out in Metchosin, literally a 10 minute drive from here (I know because I timed it with my super duper running watch). I love the fact that 5 minutes away is farms and hay bales and 5 minutes another way is awesome beach, and 5 minutes yet another way is swimming pool and library and grocery store and movie theater. The best of both worlds! All worlds!

So, I spotted a stand at the side of the road selling potted plants and decided to give them a look see, just for fun. Well, you can imagine my glee when the signs beneath the 1 gallon pots of rosemary, sunflowers, lilac, FIG TREES!!! read $2.50 to $5. Five dollars for a fig tree!!! With, might I add, actually figlets protruding. I declared in that moment that I would never, NEVER, buy plants at a garden centre ever again. Did I just say that?! Never?

No. Never.

I bet that makes you happy baby. But, I can't say I won't roam country roads in search of cheap awesome plants.

No. I won't say that.



(Can you spot the sunflowers?)

No comments:

Post a Comment